Animal FAQ

I’ve lost my pet; what do I do?
Contact the Chadron Police Department and give your information to the Dispatcher who answers the phone.  A full description of the animal and the last time you saw your pet will assist in efforts to locate it.

An Animal Control Officer will then be dispatched to search for your dog.  Additionally, if your dog has already been impounded, the Dispatcher may be able to tell you of any animals in impound that match your dogs’ description.
What can I do to prevent my pet from getting lost?
The most important thing to do to prevent your pet from becoming lost is to keep your cat indoors at all times and keep your dogs on a leash or inside a secure fence when not inside the home. Your pets should always wear a collar and ID tags, including a rabies and license tag for proper identification. Microchips are available at local veterinarians offices to help ensure your pet’s safe return home.
I found a lost pet what do I do?
Call the Chadron Police Department at (308) 432-0510.  An Animal Control Officer will respond to claim the animal and transport it to Panhandle Veterinary Clinic.

If the animal has either a rabies tag or a City Dog License, the Officer will attempt to contact the animal owner prior to impoundment.  If the dog does not have any identifying tags, the dog will be impounded.  Every effort will be made to locate the animal owner.  If the animal is not claimed, it will be available for adoption.
If I find a dog outside City limits, can I bring the dog in for impound?
No.  The City impound is under contract with the City of Chadron and works to control animals within City limits.

County residents outside of City limits are not required to purchase or maintain a City Dog License and therefore the likelihood of locating a non-City resident may not be possible.  Dogs in the County do often times roam away from, or to the edges of, their owner’s property and will typically return home on their own.
Where is Animal Control located?
The City Animal Control is the Chadron Police Department which is located at 125 Main Street.
Our City Impound is located at Panhandle Veterinary Clinic (PVC) located at 985 Highway 385 in Chadron.
Can I adopt a pet from Animal Control?
Yes.  Periodically we impound animals that for various reasons are not claimed.  In this event a nominal fee is charges for the adoption.  Additional fees may include rabies vaccination and City Dog License.
What does it cost to reclaim my animal?
Currently, impound fees are $40.  Boarding is $6 per day.  If your animal does not have a current rabies vaccination or City Dog License, those fees will be assessed as follows:
Rabies vaccination at Panhandle Veterinary Clinic: $10.
City Dog License: $11 for intact animals, $3 for spay/neutered animals.
How do I file a complaint?
To have an Animal Control Officer respond to a complaint, call the Chadron Police Department at (308) 432-0510. A dispatcher will send an Animal Control Officer to investigate your complaint. If the officer sees a violation when he/she arrives, appropriate action will be taken.
How can I get a dead animal removed?
Small animals like birds or squirrels can be disposed of by picking them up using either rubber gloves or a trash bag and disposing of them in a dumpster.

If you do not feel comfortable removing the dead animal, or if the animal is a cat, dog or other large animal, please feel free to contact the Chadron Police Department at (308) 432-0510 and an Animal Control Officer will respond to remove the animal
Is there anywhere in the City of Chadron where my dog can run free?
Yes.  There is a City Dog Park located on the 700 block of West 6th Street.  Rules are posted outside the park for your convenience.
What does "spay" and "neuter" really mean?
Female dogs and cats are spayed by removing their ovaries and uterus, and male dogs and cats are neutered by removing their testicles. In both cases the operation is performed under anesthesia.

Benefits of spaying or neutering your pet include:
  • Helps dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives by preventing certain types of cancer and other diseases;
  • Helps prevent your pet from spraying or marking you or your home;
  • Helps to prevent behavior problems, aggression and bite incidents;
  • Helps prevent pet overpopulation.
How soon after my dog/cat has had a litter can I get her spayed?
Your dog or cat can be spayed two weeks after the puppies or kittens have stopped feeding off of their mother or approximately 8 to 10 weeks.

Check with your local veterinarian for more specific information.
I've been bitten by an animal - what should I do?
All animal bites should be reported. This is a matter of public health and enforcement of these regulations is the responsibility of Animal Control. Any animal that bites someone must be placed in quarantine for a 10-day period. If you or any family member are bitten, call the Chadron Police Department immediately. An Animal Control officer will respond to complete the paperwork. If medical treatment is required, the doctor or hospital providing the treatment should report the incident. Every attempt should be made to identify the animal so the owner can be contacted and the necessary paperwork completed. If a wild animal is involved and cannot be located, you will be advised on what treatment is necessary.
My animal bit someone - what do I do?
The bite should be reported by calling the Chadron Police Department at (308) 432-0510, the animal must be placed in quarantine for a period of 10 days. This quarantine is required even if the animal has been vaccinated for rabies. You may be able to keep the animal at your home under certain circumstances and if the license and rabies vaccination are current.  If you don't have a current license or a current rabies vaccination the animal will be quarantined at Panhandle Veterinary Clinic (PVC). Boarding fees at PVC are the responsibility of the animal owner. After the bite report is completed, Animal Control will follow up on the observation and release the animal from quarantine at the end of the ten day quarantine period.
How do I protect myself against dog bites?
Tips to prevent dog bites:
  • Never approach a dog you don’t know or a dog that is alone without its owner, especially if the dog is behind a fence, tied with a rope or chain, or in a parked car.
  • Never approach a dog that is eating, sleeping or guarding something. Dogs naturally guard their puppies, food, bones and toys.
  • Never chase or tease dogs. Don’t poke, hit, pull, or pinch a dog.
  • Always ask the owner’s permission before petting a dog.
  • Never leave a baby or small child alone with a dog.
If attacked, give the dog an object, such as a jacket or backpack to bite or chew on.If you are approached by a dog who may attack you, follow these steps:
  • Resist the impulse to scream and run away.
  • Remain motionless, hands at your sides, and avoid eye contact with the dog.
  • Once the dog loses interest in you, slowly back away until he is out of sight.
  • If the dog does attack, "feed" him your jacket, purse, bicycle, or anything that you can put between yourself and the dog.
  • If you fall or are knocked to the ground, curl into a ball with your hands over your ears and remain motionless. Try not to scream or roll around.
Do you microchip animals before they are adopted?
No.  However a rabies vaccination is required if the dog appears to be over six months old.
Where can I purchase a microchip for my own animal?
Check with your local vets.
Do you scan animals for microchips?
Yes.  If an animal is impounded and has no rabies tag or City Dog License, the animal will be scanned for a microchip in an effort to locate its owner.
What constitutes a "barking dog?"
The "Barking Dog" ordinance states that it is illegal for any dog to bark in a manner that disturbs the peace of the neighborhood. We are aware that dogs will bark when they see something or someone. We look for a cause of the dog's barking or whether the dog is barking for no reason. The normal procedure is to a send an animal control officer to visit the dog owner, and make him/her aware of the complaint An Animal Control Officer Will then respond and try to get as close to the area as possible without letting the animal see or hear him/her. The officer will sit and listen to determine if a dog is barking in the area. Once the officer hears a dog barking, he/she will then try to determine if there is anything in the area causing the dog to bark. He/she will look for a letter carrier, children at the corner bus stop, etc. If there is something or someone causing the dog to bark, the officer will wait for the area to clear and see if the dog stops barking. The officer will also contact neighbors to determine to verify your complaint. The officer will approach the residence and contact the dog owner, making them aware of the situation and advising them of the steps they must take to prevent the barking in the future (based on the officer's observation of the possible causes or the dog's behavior), and depending what the results of the investigation are, issue a warning or citation for repeated offenses.
What constitutes "cruelty to an animal?"
Pet owners must provide proper food, water, and adequate shelter for animals at all times. The animal must be fed at least once every twenty-four (24) hours and have clean, fresh, drinkable water available at all times. Shelter must be a structure that is adequate to provide protection from the weather, keep the animal dry, and well maintained. The size of the shelter must be in proportion to the size of the animal. Inflicting inhumane pain or suffering or failing to provide veterinary care also constitutes cruelty. Violations should be reported by calling the Chadron Police Department at (308) 432-0510.
Can I trap stray cats or wild animals that come in my yard?
Yes, as long as you use a humane trap that does not injure the animal.  Please be aware that what you do with the animal after you trap it is a concern.  Trapping cats and simply releasing the in the county or in other areas in or out of town will be considered abandonment; if the cat belongs to a neighbor and is released this could also be deemed as theft.

Due to the threat of injury to our personnel, there are some situations involving wild animals that cannot be handled by the City. Some services we cannot provide are climbing into attics, going under structures, climbing trees, and disassembling any structures to get or remove animals. Reasonable efforts will be made by Animal Control to place traps near an area where an animal is inaccessible to affect its removal.
Does the city have a "poop scooper" ordinance?
Yes, the city does require the owner to clean up after their own dog. The owner must carry something to pick up and properly dispose of the waste. There is also a sanitation ordinance requiring the owner to clean up animal feces on their property and properly dispose of it.